Why Be an Organ Donor?
The need for organ donors has never been greater. In the United States, there are more than 120,000 people currently in need of organ transplants. Each year, thousands of people die while waiting for a transplant because no suitable donor can be found for them. But you can help.
Benefits of Organ Donation
Perhaps you are considering becoming an organ donor, but are not completely sure why you should. There are many benefits of organ donation, for all parties involved.
You Can Help Save Lives and Make a Difference
- Here in New York, there are nearly 10,000 people waiting for an organ transplant. By signing up today, you can help save lives. Did you know that just ONE organ donor can save up to EIGHT lives?
For Transplant Recipients
- A second chance. For organ donor recipients, a transplant often means a second chance at life.
- Improved quality of life. For some, an organ transplant means no longer having to be dependent on costly routine treatments to survive. It allows many recipients to return to a normal lifestyle. For others, an eye or tissue transplant means the ability to see again or the recovery of mobility and freedom from pain.
For Donors and Their Families
- The ability to comfort grieving families. It is always difficult to lose a loved one. Many grieving families of organ donors can take comfort in the fact that their loss may help to save or improve the lives of others.
- The power to save lives. Registering to be an organ donor is a charitable act that costs nothing. It allows a donor to save up to eight lives through organ donation, and to save or improve the lives of up to 50 recipients through tissue and eye donation.
Register to be an organ donor today. Help make a difference by giving the Gift of Life!
Learn more at LiveOnNY.org